Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thrifty Thursday - Week 3

Since I started Thrifty Thursday I've noticed that I don't seem to find quite as many superfantastic things at the thrift stores! What's that all about?

Whatever, I'm sure it will pick up. :)

I did find some great stuff this week, actually, but I'm not going to talk about them in this edition.

This week I'd like to show you something I found a month or so ago when I had Goober in tow with me. He's the one that spotted it first and I just had to agree that he had magnificent taste!

Photobucket


Goober pointed at it and said "Mommy, I want that planet earth."

It's a reproduction of a world map done around 1700 from Gerard Valck. (I knew all that when I bought it, really.) What I love most about it is that it is so shiny. I think Goober and I have that in common, actually. I also love the baroque style drawings in each corner to show the four seasons.

Photobucket


The Man says these things were all over the place in the 70s but I don't remember them. He's older than I am so I guess he might. ;) It's done in some sort of metal and lacquered on to a decorative piece of wood. It's also a nice size - at least 24 inches on the longer side. I paid $10 for it and that was 1/2 off it's original price. Yay for thrift stores!


1 comments:

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

interesting... just looked up gerard valck. i learn something new everyday!