Monday, May 12, 2008

5 Things You Want Your Kids To Know

I seriously couldn't think of anything to write about today. Nothing... nada... zip. Totally drawing a blank.

Then I discovered a meme out there on the Internet that prompted me to write. I can't think of a better thing to write about! That's not saying much actually... but whatever. On to the writing!

5 things you want your kids to know:

1. How incredible they are - I realize I'm biased, but I truly am amazed by my children every day. Even the days when Munchkin drives me crazy, she continuously shocks me when her personality shines through. Bug is my little scientist and Goober is my comedian. I want them to always know how amazing they are. I'm always so scared that they will become the victim of bullying or teasing and their self-esteem will plummet. I know how important it is that they have confidence and a strong sense of self-worth. I hope I can always instill that in them.

2. How important it is to get a great education - Not just because they'll be able to get a great job... in fact, I don't even encourage jumping into the workplace. I just want them to be able to have every opportunity and all the knowledge necessary to take them wherever they want to go. I don't want any limits placed on my children.

3. It's alright to be idealistic - In fact, idealistic people are the ones who change the world. Idealistic people see outside the box, they see the bigger picture, they realize that one person can make a difference. Going right along with them not having any limits, I don't want them to think they can't do something just because it hasn't been done before. I don't want them to feel that they have to conform to any rigid rules of society. I want them to be their own people, whatever they want to be, whoever they want to be.

4. Nothing is ever final - There's always another day, another chance, another way to make something work. If they want something bad enough, nothing has to stand in their way. There are usually obstacles and sometimes they can seem insurmountable, but there is always a way.

5. Don't let life run you - It's so easy to just fly by the seat of your pants and let life take you wherever it goes. Unfortunately, you probably won't end up where you want to be. It's important to make goals and plan to meet them. It's not always easy to follow those plans and they will probably have to be adjusted more often than you can imagine. Road blocks and detours are a part of life, but there's always a path to get to the destination you're trying for. Sometimes it just takes a lot of searching.


2 comments:

Kristen said...[Reply to comment]

Wow-I think those are some great life lessons!

Michelle@Life with Three said...[Reply to comment]

I loved this post. And while they are life lessons for children, they served as a great reminder for me, too!