Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Talk About Your Worst Nightmare!

I just read this story and my stomach literally dropped while reading it. Can you imagine?

It reminds me of how we lost Goober at Epcot on New Years Eve. Combine a four year old who doesn't want to be in a stroller with the busiest day at any Disney theme park with both parents thinking the other parent has said four year old and you've got a big recipe for disaster.

After about three hours, two frantic sprints across the entire theme park, at least three hysterical crying fits, one maniac outburst at a smiling Disney cast member, and one calming conversation with a breastfeeding mother at Disney's baby care center about her experiences with lost children, our darling son was delivered to me no worse for wear.

We were all, however, a little damp from the monsoon conditions the park experienced while we searched for him.

He had fallen asleep at a KidCot station in Great Britain.

So, though I've never lost my child in another city, my heart truly goes out to these parents. I can already anticipate the opinions of people when they read this story. Yikes!

Disney actually gave us park hopper passes to return another day since we had such a terrible one on New Year Eve. We haven't had the nerve to go back yet. :) Maybe this summer. With a kid leash.


4 comments:

Karen said...[Reply to comment]

Both these stories give me chills. And you know why? Because they could happen to anyone!
I've always lived in Florida and we always had a spot we were supposed to meet if ever separated at a Disney Park. They all have one point that is visible from the entire park, like Cinderealla's Castle and the big ball at Epcot. Luckily we've never lost anyone. Must go knock on wood now!

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

It was to date the worst experience of my life. I honestly don't think anything compares to the absolute terror that you've lost your child.

The Disney employees kept telling me that no child had ever been taken from Disney. It didn't make me feel even one tiny bit better. I know how the gates at those parks work. Anyone could just take a child out of there. Chucky Cheese has better security as far as that goes.

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

oh man, i don't know what i would do. now that i have two kids, i'm sure incidences like this will have a higher chance of happening. (kid leash, here i come.)

my neighbor told me that once when her kids were little, they took them to san fran on a day when there was a parade. they lost their son within a blink of an eye... luckily they found him later.

wow. scary.

Michelle@Life with Three said...[Reply to comment]

Before I had kids, I would say, "Wow. How could you lose your kid?" Now -- I completely understand. You're managing about 15 different things at once and it can happen in an instant. I can understand how that would have been the worst experience of your life. It's beyond terrifying.