Thursday, May 29, 2008

Fight the Frump! The Internetz Shares Beauty Tips!


This week I couldn't think of much to write about as far as fighting the frump goes because I have to say, I've been pretty frumpy lately.

So I've compiled a small list of household beauty tips that I've found all over the Internet and thought were interesting. :) Enjoy!

From Girls Hang Out:
I found this tip really neat! For cracked heels, apply the pulp of a ripe banana and leave on for 10 minutes. Then clean the heel. I'm still sporting my smooth Ped Egg heels but I thought this tip was really great.

From Blog Fabulous:
I know that Vaseline works great for chapped hands and lips but I never thought about using it for fly aways! Does anyone know what highlighter means?

From Cathy's World:
To diminish dark circles and puffy eyes, freeze parsley in ice cubes and apply to area. "Parsley is packed with chlorophyll which helps fade darkness, while the ice reduces the swelling."

I also loved this one! For that shimmery foundation that is all the rage - "Mix your regular foundation with shimmering eye shadow such as gold, beige, cream, white, ecru or banana,"

From Barefoot Lass:
"Pour a cup or more of powdered milk under running bath water. The lactic acid in the milk will remove dry dead skin and leave you baby soft." Another tip was to add a coupe of drops of scented oil to make the bath extra delicious!

This tip on the same site was sent in from a reader: "Dreama Lawson from Bluefield, Va. writes; "I have medium brown hair and to make it look a richer and darker brown, I take Hershey's cocoa and mix it with an equal amount of shampoo. Just wash your hair with this mixture and it will make your hair a darker and richer brown. After washing your hair with this mixture, you can also add the cocoa to your conditioner. You have to use Hershey's unsweetened coca not the kind that is sweetened or else you will have a real mess." This one I'm going to HAVE to try!

Also, pour a bottle of diet coke over a too dark dye job and it should fade the dye.

There were a ton of great tips on these sites, check them out!

For even more frump fighting tips, check out Mrs. Fussypants!

PS - Have you commented on my book giveaway this week? What are you waiting for? I'm drawing a name TONIGHT! :)


10 comments:

Valarie Lea said...[Reply to comment]

Gonna have to try the coco thing on my middle child she has dark brown hair.

The diet coke thing, if it can fade your hair what is it doing to our insides. It can also eat away the corrosive stuff on a car battery.

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

I'm still not giving up the Diet Coke. I realize it's terrible... I do... there should be a quit diet coke campaign.

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

I think Highlighter is just something that provides a sheen. My mum showed me how to use vaseline on your legs, if you're going bare just run a fine line of vasline up the front of your shin about an inch wide, not thickly just a very small amount and whatever way it catches the light and the rest of your leg doesn't it has a very narrowing effect, you can also use a very small amount in the hollows of your cheeks to highlight your cheekbones and under the eyes to reflect light and makes your eyes brighter. It's also a fantastic conditioner for eyelashes and you can use it to protect your hands and sking when dying anything if you find gloves get in the way. Brilliant all rounder.

Darla said...[Reply to comment]

Ooohh those are geat tips!

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks for that Leanne! I kept thinking it meant a highlighter for hair and that just didn't make much sense to me. :)

Family O'Foxes said...[Reply to comment]

great tips.

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

great tips! i've gotta try the vasaline thing since i have flyaways all the time.

let me know about the cocoa in the shampoo thing. sounds interesting!

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

oh btw cal & spaz, the thing about diet coke...

i can't give it up either...

however, a great tip about using diet coke aside from eating is to pour some on a really greasy pan that you can't scrub off. works like a charm.

gross, i know.

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...[Reply to comment]

Banana peel?? For real????

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...[Reply to comment]

I love how the most random things can turn out to be somebody's secret beauty tip. Thanks for gathering these up for our delectation!