Monday, August 18, 2008

Back to school - Part Deux

Pick up today was fun.

I arrived at Munchkin's school at 1:15 and was FIRST in the car pick up line. How's that for prior planning, Mom?

I used my 45 minutes to tidy up the car so when I opened the sliding door to the minivan to let her in I wasn't horribly embarrassed that all the teachers and aids could see my mess. Or worse, nothing actually fell out on to the pavement when the door slid open. Been there, done that.

Then I read blogs from my cell phone. I am such a geek.

Munchkin got in the car, pouting, and asking how many days she was going to have to stay in this school. *sigh*

Then it was on to pick up Bug.

The rain hadn't been too terrible while picking up Munchkin but it really started to pour on our way to get Bug. Torrential downpour. The heavens opened up and unleashed a fury of rain on to my poor minivan. It was rough going.

Bug's school is overcrowded so they're building stuff. More buildings, more offices, more stuff. Since it's the first year I've had a kid at this school I have no clue as to whether the construction was going on last year, but it's a mess over there. Picking him up was joyful, let me tell you. Combine the first day of elementary school with terrible construction with a main road with a tropical storm.

Oh yes.

I arrived in the vicinity of the school at 2:15 thinking I was doing well. I didn't get Bug in the car until after 3:00. I wish I had taken a picture of all the poor teachers out in the pouring rain with umbrellas trying to direct traffic. They really deserve a raise.

Bug was SOAKED when he got in the car. Soaked through to his underwear. This morning The Man had given him an emergency poncho to put in his backpack for such an occasion but Bug had read "emergency" on it and thought he wasn't supposed to use it unless his life was in danger or something. *sigh*

Bug was grumpy. Dentist appointment tomorrow, torrential downpour or not.

His new folders are soggy... I hope they dry cause I'm steering clear of any school supply aisles for a while.

On the way home I gathered Goober up from his preschool where he seemed happy to see me, even though I interrupted snack time and he was thoroughly enjoying his Cheetos.

Goober gibber gabbered excitedly all the way home and then they changed clothes and did homework while I filled out a billion emergency contact and consent forms. It's good to be back in a routine again.

I need a nap.


Karen said...[Reply to comment]

We are so soul mates! The whole cleaned out the van so nothing falls out when you pick up the kids, so something I have had to do. And I too sat in car line for an hour. What fun, huh?

DYSFUNCTIONAL MOM said...[Reply to comment]

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has crap falling out of the mini-van. I feel so much less ashamed.
I hate all the crap we have to fill out this week! Totally hate it.
I'm so ready to settle into a routine. Next week should be good.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...[Reply to comment]

We're not at that stage yet, so I can only imagine the craziness of back-to-school.

However, we are definitely in the junk falling out the mini-van stage. I'm guessing we always will be.

Big Hair Envy said...[Reply to comment]

I still have a week and a half before the barrage of paperwork begins. Then it's the fundraisers. I am going to Target to buy a bigger trashcan!!

Trish said...[Reply to comment]

I'm glad that there are others that have the same "garbage car issue".

Have you seen the YouTube video for "Mom My Ride"? If not you have to check it out. Very funny.