Thursday, January 17, 2008

Drowning in scouts

Yesterday the cub scouts had their pack meeting. For those of you who don't know, the pack is the larger group of boys encompassing all the different dens in the area. So the pack meetings are kind of important and a little more formal. The boys are supposed to wear their uniforms.

So yesterday I throw Bug's shirt in the wash so it will be nice and fresh for the meeting and ALL of his patches fell off. It's a wonder I found them all in the washer afterward. Why is it that no one told me this would happen?? I attempted to sew the patches back on and had some success getting the pack numbers to stay on but as far as anything else, it's sort of a joke. I'm pretty hopeless.

The Man even dragged out a little tiny sewing machine we had in the attic and spent a good portion of his evening trying to figure out how to get that to work. No dice.

So Bug did not wear his patchless uniform to the meeting. Almost every other boy there was in total uniform so Bug stuck out like a sore thumb. I counted three times that the leader speaking on the microphone mentioned how important it is for the boys to "show the pack some respect" and "wear their full class A uniform to pack meetings." I felt their eyes burning through me...

After being informed of all the trips coming up, the meetings (pack and den), the parade they're marching in, and the banquet that happens to be falling on the only day I might be able to spend some time with my sister who is going to be in town we got back in the car and were off to Munchkin's brownie leader's house to pick up six cases of girl scout cookies. Thin Mints, Lemonades, Shortbread, OH MY! Yep, that's right, it's COOKIE TIME.

We're signed up for two booths and are expected to try to make it to more, we have numerous relatives to visit to peddle our cookies, and don't forget the regular scout meetings and our field trip on Monday.

You should see my homemade planner NOW. Between the boy scouts and the girl scouts and work, it'll be great if I have time to take a shower before mid February.


2 comments:

Robin said...[Reply to comment]

I'm so glad that scouts doesn't start here until 3rd or 4th grade. It's all I can do to keep up with the regular extra-curriculars without another one that has parent homework!

Totallyscrappy said...[Reply to comment]

It looks like so much fun when you sign up and buy the cute outfit. Now it just smacks of work. ;)