Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ooh, it's a twofer! Or a sixfer! Even better!

So as far as the meme goes, I never promised I'd do the whole thing, and this is my blog, and I'm not much for following rules. So I'm half-assing the next 6. I don't think they're worth a whole post a piece, so here's a 6 in 1.

Day 8 - Someone who has made your life hell, or treated you like crap.
I considered posting about one of my ex-boyfriends and making it a whole PSA about teenage domestic violence, but I don't want to drag that junk out. So here's my PSA - if your child is dating someone and you think they might be violent, do whatever it is you have to do to figure out if your child is being hurt. Follow them, stalk them, read their diary, whatever. Protect your kid first. They will most definitely hate you while you do it, but when they grow up they'll love you even more for it.

Day 9 - Someone you didn't want to let go, but just drifted.
I had a friend in elementary school. We were like peas and carrots, y'all. The BEST friends EVER. She moved to Colorado when we were kids. She came back to Florida a few times for visits and we'd see each other but it's not so easy to maintain a long distance friendship when you're a kid. The last time I saw her we were 16 and I had just gotten my first car. Like seriously, JUST gotten it. It was a stick shift and I could barely drive the thing. We drove around all day listening to the Violent Femmes and stalling out all over town. It was great. I still miss her.

*Note - this portion of the post was edited. Originally I had included my friend's name because I had hopes that maybe some day she'd google her own name and find this post. See, when I last went searching for her I did google her name and nothing substantial came up.  I tried facebook, all that stuff.  When I posted this, I didn't think to google her again just to see if anything had changed because it really wasn't all that long ago that I attempted to find her.  Well, I did google her after this was posted and what came up wasn't good.  Evidently my friend and I have walked different paths in our lives and her path appears to have led her to a place where armed robbery is an option for her.  With that new light, I'd rather our paths didn't cross again.  I am deeply saddened to have discovered this. It's shocking to know that this person who was the sweetest, most genuine and kind person as a child, could get to a place where $50 is worth putting someone else's safety in danger. I just don't even know what to think.

Day 10 - Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn't know.
I honestly can't say I have anyone in my life I need to let go or wish I didn't know. I mean, maybe there are some people who come along every once in a while that aren't my favorite people to deal with, but I can't exactly say I wish I didn't know them.

Day 11 - Something people seem to compliment you the most on.
It's my sparkling personality, y'all.

Day 12 - Something you never get compliments on.
My housekeeping abilities. Never once has anyone wanted to eat off my floor... except the dog.

Day 13 - A band or artists that has gotten you through some tough days.
The Cure. It's awesome brooding music. During almost any teenaged angst filled day of the 90s I would turn on Robert Smith and let the black sadness wash over me. Later on I turned to Sarah McLaughlin and lots of country music to get my cry on. Lately a simple Hallmark commercial will do it for me.

Tune in tomorrow for Day 14 - A hero that has let me down where you'll hear my hero say "I'm buried in a box. I'm buried in a box!"


0 comments: