Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I think I'll go join him for that nap...

So today was Bug's first day back at the regular old school house. I knew that waking up was going to be tough for him after months of rolling out of bed whenever he pleased, but I wasn't quite prepared for the sloth like movements and veritable sleep walking that ensued..

He sat at the breakfast table and promptly fell asleep. He wouldn't eat a bagel, it sat untouched on the counter. (As an aside, Tofutti Cream Cheese really does taste just about as good as regular cream cheese... but heat seems to do nothing to it... no melting or anything... weird.)

Bug just wouldn't move.

He told me he hated school.

This was the kid who, just last week, was super duper excited to be going back to school.

He finally got dressed, leaving the clothes he was wearing the day before his pajamas in a heap on the floor, and stumbled out the door with his siblings, grumped about how cold it was (it was 57), and climbed, sluggishly, into the minivan. He dragged his backpack with nothing but some pencils and a folder of loose-leaf paper in it as if it weighed 100 pounds.

When we pulled into the parking lot at school he started to perk up a little bit. I don't know if it was excitement or nerves or a little bit of both, but he managed to walk at a normal pace and his eyes were all the way open. I was thrilled I didn't need to carry him to class. I walked him to his classroom (I had gone in the day before to find out where he'd be going) and met his teacher. I explained to her that he was a little tired as he wasn't used to being up so early and clarified with her which bus he'd be riding home before saying goodbye.

And then I enjoyed a quiet day to myself. It had been a long time.

I forgot how quiet it can be.

It was over too soon.

When the three goblins arrived home after school, we tried to sit right down to do homework. But Bug couldn't keep his head up. He tried to hold it up with a hand, but eventually it was lying on the table and I realized it was futile. I finally conceded to letting him nap for 1/2 hour before starting on the tons of work he was assigned.

I'm assuming it's to sort of catch him up because if he gets this much work every night I think we might be in for a rough couple of months before summer starts. It seems to be mostly FCAT prep work, though, which should be fairly easy for Bug.

I also received the teacher's supply list. I'm not sure if it's unreasonable of me to think that she may have made a different list for Bug since he's only got 2 more months of school left. It appears to be the same supply list given out to every parent at the beginning of the year. Do I really need to send it paper towels, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, dry erase makers, and a ream of copy paper?

Oh, and there's a $110 due tomorrow for an end-of-the-year field trip to Epcot with his class. Evidently the rest of the parents had the luxury of paying in installments. Ouch.


0 comments: