Friday, October 3, 2008

A morning in the life...

Yesterday morning my alarm clock went off at 6:30 just like I told it to.

Except, evidently that means nothing to my brain. My actual wake up time was 7:06. Just a note - if I don't leave the house by 7:10 we will most likely miss Bug's bus.

I scrambled out of bed to find Bug sitting in the family room watching some crap on Nickelodeon in his underwear.

Frick!

I throw clothes at him asking him why he didn't try to wake me up.

"I did, Mommy! I knocked on your door and I told you we were going to be late."

Double frick!

At this point Munchkin and Goober come tumbling out of bed with sleep in their eyes. Bug is half dressed and I start throwing clothes at the other two while running around in my nightgown.

Bug finishes getting dressed and I shuffle just him out to the car. I can take the other two in a minute but I have to get him to his stop. Goober demands a hug and a kiss before I can walk out the door. I hug, I kiss, but evidently my kiss isn't good enough and he wants another. I need to nip this in the bud right away so I refuse another kiss and scramble out the door.

I hear his wailing as I shut the door.

Here's your picture:

Me wearing orange flip flops and a pink floral nightgown and nothing else, purse and keys in hand. Bug with all kind of messed up hair in a slightly too small navy blue polo shirt and slightly too big khaki shorts and a backpack as big as he is.

And we tear out of the driveway in the minivan only to see the flashing lights of the bus already at the stop.

Due to the dynamics of the stop and the current traffic situation, I cannot drive the van close enough to the bus to let Bug out where he doesn't have to cross the street. But the bus driver sees me in the van and she knows I'm me. So she signals that I can walk Bug to the bus and she'll wait.

Um... thanks, but no thanks, lady. Can you imagine seeing me in my nightie and flip flops parading across the street with my kid in front of all my neighbors? I think not.

So I wave a "nevermind" type of wave hoping she'll believe I actually intended to drive Bug all the way into school this morning. She appears confused but moves along.

And I drive in the wrong direction until she's out of sight so she'll never know.

Goober is still wailing when I get home.


7 comments:

Heather of the EO said...[Reply to comment]

Oh. No.
I LOVE it that you drove the wrong way to appear as if you were planning it all along. I would totally do that!
Wow, life as a mom is so nuts!
Hang in, trooper :)

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

Oh, this was good for a morning laugh!!! :) I can just imagine doing the same thing. oops!

Bahama Shores Mama said...[Reply to comment]

It's always when I don't have time to put a bra on that fate will make me get out of the car at the kids' school.

I should NEVER go without a bra. It scares all the little children.

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

wait a minute...

was I just reading .....about....MYSELF?!?!?

Michelle@Life with Three said...[Reply to comment]

This cracked me up! So something I would do! I thought for a minute there you really were going to get out and walk him to the bus! :)

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

At least you managed flip flops, legitimate outdoor footwear. My mum once drove me to school in her slippers and I swear one day I'll do the same to Toots.

And for some reason Bloglines isn't updating when you post.

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

oh boy! it's totally one of those days!