Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Someday they'll be gone and I'll miss this...

Every morning the kids wake up before I do now that I don't set my alarm clock to get them ready for school. They're up playing little games in their rooms. Every morning I sneak out as quiet as I can be, hoping to get just a little bit of coffee in me before they hear me. It never works. Their hearing is super-sonic. They hear me open the cabinet to get out the coffee and their little ears perk up.

"Mommy's awake!!!" They say it with such glee you'd think I had slept until noon. I hear them drop whatever they are doing and scamper out to see me, six little bare feet pattering along the pergo floor. They absolutely must touch me, hug me, kiss me, tell me everything they have done this morning so far.

Bug tells me how he has started a pet store. He is selling fish tanks for $10.99, $12.99, and $30. He shows them to me. They are his plastic school boxes from this year with the prices written on top in Sharpie. Before I have a chance to wonder where he got the Sharpie, Goober is hugging my legs so tightly together that I can't move.

"I'm SUPERMAN!" he tells me with a grin so large it literally covers his face. He then "flies" all over our kitchen at speeds only a four year old can muster while making flying sounds only a boy can muster.

Munchkin, my only girl, pouts and holds her little body like she's already a teenager filled with angst, though she's only six. She wants to go to Grandma's house and I am the meanest mother EVER because we aren't going to Grandma's house today and why can't we go to Grandma's house today and she MISSES Grandma!

I look expectantly at the coffee pot as it takes a full eternity to drip just one cup of coffee into the pot. I wait, mug in hand, bleary eyed, while Goober crashes into Munchkin. Munchkin erupts a loud, completely fake, cry and yells at him before stomping off to her room to ponder the injustice that is her family.

Drip... drip... drip...

Finally the coffee is made and I can savor the warm sweetness that will turn me from a mere shell of a woman to a real living and breathing mom.

*sigh*

I feel I can take on the world again.


8 comments:

Karen said...[Reply to comment]

This is part of why I choose Diet Coke as my caffeine source, no waiting to make it! Oh and I don't care for coffee. Hee hee!

Melissa said...[Reply to comment]

yea! Take on the world!

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

hooray for coffee. lots and lots of coffee.

Michelle@Life with Three said...[Reply to comment]

Loved this post -- sounds like mornings at our house (especially the Superman part. We're very into superheroes these days). It made me smile!

Veronica said...[Reply to comment]

Beautifully written! And your lil girl sounds like mine. I got the "you're so mean" line tonight.

night!

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

Yep, sounds like my house, I can usually still manage a coffee before they wake up and by they I mean my ONE child and husband.

My daughter's line is "mommy, I am very cross with you" with the finger pointed at me. She's only three. I have no idea where she's picked this up from *looks shiftily from side to side*.

Kate said...[Reply to comment]

I absolutely can relate to this. Without my coffee I am completely worthless! I have tried setting the timer so that it's easier to sneak in that first cup without being heard. But wouldn't you know those are the mornings when everyone (kids included) decide to sleep in!

Hmmm...maybe we should move our coffee pots into our bedrooms. :-)

Drama said...[Reply to comment]

THAT is the morning I just had...except I have three girls...all conversations in my house currently revolve around Webkinz...the bane of my existance!!