Wednesday, November 5, 2008

In the great words of Bob the Builder... Yes We Can!

There isn't too much I want to say about the election this year... not too much, but I can't help but say a few things.

I couldn't stop my tears as I watched the election coverage. November 4, 2008 is a day that has changed our country, our world, forever. We have made a giant leap in such an exciting direction. I can truly turn to my children now and tell them with no doubt that anything is possible.

I can tell them now that anyone can become everything they have ever hoped to become in this country of ours. I can tell them how lucky they are to be here, to be born here, to live here, to have the rights of an American citizen. Because here, not only can they be whatever they want to be, they can feel whatever they want to feel and say whatever they want to say. They can express themselves and change their world. There is limitless opportunity.

And I can point to November 4, 2008 on the calendar and show them that this was the day that proved that all things are possible.

As The Man and I sat together and watched history happen on our big screen TV, I imagined doors opening for people of all types, all races, all sexes, all belief systems. I felt hope well up inside of me for a future for my children that is free from all the bigotry and hatred of the past. We changed the world November 4, 2008 and it was for the better.


5 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...[Reply to comment]

Wonderful post! ML King would be so proud right now. I hope he's watching from heaven, along with Obama's grandma.

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

I cried this morning when I heard. I was over the moon. It's weird having not said anything about any preference during the whoel thing, because I don't live in the US, it sometimes feels that I shouldn't be entitled to an opinion on the matter, but I completely wholeheartedly agree with you that this effects the world not just the US.

Jan Ross said...[Reply to comment]

I was amazed that I actually teared up this morning when I heard as well. It was mainly seeing the cheering crowds of blacks AND whites laughing and slinging their arms around each other. We are truly at the precipice of a changed history for the entire world. And how exciting is that?

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

yes, I agree.

DEFINITELY.

(((i need to go back and read what else you've been up to!!!)))

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

on so many levels I agree. but the amazement and world-changing comments so common in the press bother me because it's new for the *United States* not the world. and while it's great that the US is moving forward and it does have a world-wide impact ... we are not changing the world, we're catching up. that said, hooray for us! I'm so happy to have a well-spoken president!