Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Goodbye Marlee

When Dancing with the Stars first began in 2005 I remember laughing about it. The first season was a little laughable actually... the "stars" weren't even B list and the whole idea of them ballroom dancing for the amusement of the American public had me rolling my eyes.

When the show picked up speed (and ratings) over the course of the next four seasons I was a little surprised but still giggled about the whole idea and never bothered watching. Well, except for when Marie Osmond passed out... I watch that on YouTube a couple of times.

Before this season started I caught a promo and saw that Marlee Matlin would be on the show. Being that I loved her on My Name is Earl and currently still love her on The L Word I had to tune in.

So I set our DVR to record the show and when The Man (who still makes fun of the whole idea) was otherwise occupied I tuned in.

It wasn't long before I was hooked. I mean, who wouldn't be? Seriously... the costumes, the lights, the passion, the background stories. I find myself rooting for every single contestant! I'm so sad for them when they are voted off.

Penn Jillette was the first to go. It was true, from the first show I knew he wasn't going to be a dancer. He was so funny, though! Who wouldn't want to watch him? Then it was Monica Seles. It was so sad to see her go, the girl who missed her prom, all dressed in pink and so beautiful. Steve Guttenberg, who I watched a billion times in the 80's (hello? Cocoon, 3 Men and a Baby, Short Circuit, POLICE ACADEMY), the man who was "too happy" for the dance, when he was voted off I felt the tears well up in my eyes. Adam Carolla, who granted has two left feet but he made me laugh every single show, left next and then Priscilla Presley! How could a legend like Priscilla be voted off?

It wasn't until tonight, though, that I actually cried real tears. Maybe it's PMS... who knows? (Okay, yes, I know... I have raging PMS right now... but STILL.) I'm not even sure I want to tune in next week now that Marlee isn't going to be there. She was the whole reason I started watching and I'm just so sad to see her go. I'm not even sure who I might call my favorite now. What's the point in watching?

Oh who am I kidding... I'll be jonesing for a DWTS fix by this weekend.

I'm waiting for Jimmy Kimmel Live to start tonight so I can see her one last time.

-sigh-


0 comments: