Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Surgery Update

We waited forever for Goober's surgery yesterday. Poor little man hadn't eaten for over 12 hours and I had to watch him like a hawk. He managed to sneak 1 piece of popcorn by me but the nurse didn't seem very concerned with that.

When we got to the Surgery Center Goober was not happy to have to take off all of his clothes and put on the hospital gown. I guess no one's really pleased to have to do that, even when they're only 5.

He was a little nervous, but mostly remained the little champ we know him to be. He did not cry, he asked a couple of times if anything would hurt, and he was mostly quiet and thoughtful while everyone talked and buzzed about him.

Ready for a new button!

Once he was in surgery I was a bit of a wreck. I tried to busy myself by filling out the invitations for my BFF's upcoming baby shower but I couldn't think. The Man kindly made me a cup of coffee which I proceeded to spill all over the place and then burn the crap out of my mouth on. I then locked myself in the little bathroom and cried for a minute while I got myself together.

Before very long the surgeon came out and told us everything had gone great and gave us all of our instructions and we were allowed back to see him.

I went back first and Goober was awake but very groggy. Once I promised him I would not leave his side again, he fell back asleep.


A little after 5 the nurse began disconnecting him from machines and the IV and he woke up.


After a little orange Gatorade he was wide awake and ready to get his clothes on and get out of there.

Can We Go Home Now?

Today he's hopped up on Tylenol and watching every Disney movie available to us. Thank goodness it's over.


Valarie Lea said...[Reply to comment]

I am so glad everything went ok. Those procedures can really get you. Little Logan had to have a mole taken off his neck, and the had to put him under to do that. Even though it was just a mole, it was a very scary thing thinking about him being put under. He was a bit funny when he came to though. :)

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

It's amazing how fast they bounce back isn't it? My G when she woke up from surgery tried to escape to the playroom, but the IV kept her tied to the bed. He looks great!

Karen said...[Reply to comment]

So happy to hear everything went well. Maybe now you can get some rest!

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

I'm so happy it went well! I bet he just about ate you out of house and home when he finally got to eat!

You being scared to death like that? 100% normal! If you're exhausted from all the worry and tension today, climb in bed (or on the couch) with Goober, pop in one of those Disney flicks (I love Cinderella and Little Mermaid!) and decompress snuggled up with your boy.

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

Glad everything went well. What a Trooper!

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

what a champ! i would have been crying in my gown if i'm the one going into surgery!

i'm glad to hear that everything went well!

NinjaPrincess said...[Reply to comment]

So glad to hear everything went well!!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...[Reply to comment]

I hear ya! I'm glad it went well.

Heather of the EO said...[Reply to comment]

Such a trooper! I would have cried in the bathroom the whole time. So I think it's quite brave that you spilled coffee instead as a means of distraction :)
I hope his healing is quick and smooth!