Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Nothing to eat or drink? Not even Benadryl?

It's always helpful to read the comments section of posts. Today I learned by reading Dawn's post, that if my toddler ever shoves anything up his or her nose I can plug the other side of his or her nose and blow a large puff of air into his or her mouth, therefore shoving the offending object out by forced air. Who knew? I no longer have a toddler, but I'm sure I will have one or five more in my care at some point in the future. If only my sister had known this trick a few months ago when my niece put a "princess bead" up her nose.

I think I've mentioned before that today is the day that my baby will have surgery. Me, worried? Never!

At this point I'm more worried about the doctor's orders that Goober eat or drink nothing, NOT EVEN WATER from 6 AM this morning until we go into the surgery center at 1:30. The other day when I received those orders I had a brilliant idea. I would keep Goober up as late as I possibly could and therefore he would sleep most of the morning away.

I know, I'm a genius.

So last night I declared that it would be Goober and Mommy night. I left The Man at home with Bug and Munchkin and I picked Goober up from pre school a little after 5. We perused his school book fair a bit, made a small selection and then headed over to my mom and dad's house. I dropped Goober with my mom for an hour while I met my sister at the gym. Mom read him his new books and entertained him with blocks.

Around 7 pm I returned and we all ate some dinner that my dad had picked up. Goober was entertained with a catalog of toys. He pointed to every toy in it that he wanted (all of them... except, oh wait, I already have that one).

At almost 8 we decided to run over to Walmart and pick up some new crayons and coloring books since Goober would be in bed for at least 24 hours after his surgery and might need some entertainment.

Around 8:30 (officially 1/2 hour past bedtime) we stopped into Friendly's where Goober enjoyed two scoops of ice cream and mommy enjoyed coffee.

Ice Cream

Pardon my photo quality, I left my camera at home so all pictures are taken with my camera phone.

Next we decided to take in a film at our local cinema. Our feature presentation started at 9:40 so we had some time to kill. Goober enjoyed a bit of "pretend we actually did put quarters in the machine" Dance Dance Revolution.

Dance Dance Revolution

By quarter after 9 we sauntered over to the refreshment counter and made a selection of giant popcorn and giant Mr. Pibb. It was then time to make sure we got great seats.

Giant Refreshments

Here are the seats that Goober selected. The seats ALL the way at the top of the theater. I wonder how much my three times a week workouts are doing for me since I was positively breathless once we reached the top. Perhaps I should lay off the Twizzlers.

Surprise, surprise! We had the theater all to ourselves. I guess Igor doesn't sell too many tickets at 9:40 on a Monday night.

The movie was okay. A "wait till it comes out on DVD" flick at best.

Goober started to fall asleep about an hour in. I had to wake him up and hold his attention.

As we left the theater he got a sort of second wind. So at quarter after 11 we stopped at the playground! After 15 minutes of swings and chasing each other around I declared that the playground was kind of spooky even though it was well lit and decided we should leave.

We stopped at Walgreens on the way home so I could pick up deoderant. No one likes a smelly mommy. As I perused the facial moisturizers with SPFs of 30, Goober announced loudly that he was tired and hungry.

Officially making me appear to be the terrible mother who had her 5 year old out at almost midnight and hadn't fed him.

When we arrived home just after midnight, The Man's brother was here and provided more entertainment. I managed to give Goober a bath before passing out around 1:30 AM. Goober was still awake playing with the men.

I fell asleep knowing he would soundly sleep until at least 10.

He was up at 7:45 AM.

He's now entertaining himself by spinning in an office chair.

Spinny Chair

PS - If you haven't already, please take a moment to vote for October's Little Fish! Thanks!


Ellie said...[Reply to comment]

Oh dear. 7:45?

*SO* glad you got free refills on that popcorn, ma'am. Gotta stay fortified!

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

Doesn't it just figure? All that work to get him to sleep in...had you put him to bed at 9:00 last night he probably would have slept all morning!

I'll be thinking of you both today...

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

I thought for sure that he would have slept until at least 9 after all that. Oh, man! When it was my daughter having surgery we just kept her out of the kitchen and made sure that no one ate or drank in front of her. It made it a little bit easier. I'll be thinking of you both this afternoon.

Leanne said...[Reply to comment]

Awww, that plan was perfect, genius even. How could it not have worked?

Valarie said...[Reply to comment]

He may just want to have a procedure done more often. Staying up late watching a movie, going to the park, eating popcorn. And after all that excitement getting to sleep in until 7:45 a.m.! :)

I pray everything will be fine. :)

Heather of the EO said...[Reply to comment]

WHY WHY WHY doesn't keeping them up make them sleep later? WHY?
So sorry. I hope things go well despite the starving and over-tired hyperactive surgery patient.

NinjaPrincess said...[Reply to comment]

They didn't give him an appointment until 1:30?? I think kids should always get the early morning ones -- for the exact reasons you mentioned. I'm not sure what time zone you're in, but I think it's pretty close to his surgery time. Saying a prayer for your little guy!

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

oh my goodness. he will be well rested after the surgery, i'm sure.

good luck!

carrie said...[Reply to comment]

Oh No! All that work and he was still up early! That is totally something that would happen to me! :) And, at least you had a nice time, although exhausting!

I'll keep you in my thoughts today.

DysFUNctional Mom said...[Reply to comment]

Isn't that always the way it goes?
Hope the surgery went well!