Monday, May 12, 2014

And now for something completely different - The Spaz discovers Iggy Azalea

**Note to Dad (because I think you might be the only one reading) - Don't click on any of the links, you won't like them. :) Love you!**

I am a product of the 90's.

I turned 13 in February of 1990 and had my first child in December of 1999. Literally, the entire decade encompassed freedom for me.

I embraced all great fads of the 90s. From NWA to Nirvana, Guess Jeans to my dad's old flannel shirts, K Swiss to Converse, Manic Panic to my tongue piercing, Adidas to Polo Sport, Clearly Canadia to Zima, and my little purple pager to my Nokia 5110 - I was a 90's kid.

And as a female coming of age in the 90s, it stands to reason that even at 37 years old I would find Clueless to be one of the greatest movies of all time. Much like the generation that followed mine latched on to Mean Girls with a passion, my generation loves Clueless. What teenage girl in the 90s didn't want to be Cher Horowitz? With her perfect blonde hair, blissful ignorance, and fat allowance, she was arguably the most enviable character of her time. I'd still like to be Cher Horowitz. (Side note, when in college I discovered that Clueless was actually based on Jane Austen's Emma my mind was officially blown.)

So, when I was flipping through channels the other day and noticed this video - I had to stop and watch. (Note: strong language)


When I showed The Man this video his remarks were "She's cute until she opens her mouth."

Iggy Azalea is cute. And this particular song is catchy and wins my heart with the Clueless remake. Me being me had to look further into Iggy to see what else she had done. It's been a long time since I've been up and up on what's new in the rap world and Iggy's music isn't exactly what I would normally listen to, but something intrigued me about her so I looked further.

I found out that Iggy Azalea was born as Amethyst Amelia Kelly and grew up in a little town in Australia called Mullumbimby. She lived in a house literally made from mud bricks that her father built. At 15 she dropped out of high school, choosing instead to work and save money by cleaning hotels and vacation houses with her mother. 

At 16 she hopped on a plane bound for Miami by herself. BY HERSELF. And never looked back. 

The mother in me felt my heart leap into my throat when I read that. If one of my babies got on a plane at 16 years old and flew literally to the other side of the world without me, I would crumble into a puddle of worry and heartbreak. 

But Iggy had a dream to be a rapper and maybe it was her youthful optimism and ignorance - but dammit, she did it. And whether you have respect for young rappers and that lifestyle or not, I will always have respect for someone who chases their dreams and doesn't give up until they've achieved them.

It makes a lot of the crap I complain about seem pretty petty when I think of her with "no money, no family, 16, in the middle of Miami."




0 comments: