Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"February is merely as long as is needed to pass the time until March." - Dr. J. R. Stockton

(I had to Google Dr. J.R. Stockton to find out who he was... and I'm still not entirely sure, but I think it's safe to say he's very smart.)

So it's been a while. Not that it's any sort of a shock that I've been leaving weeks and months between blog posts. :)

And truly, I'd like to start posting again with some sort of regularity. I'd also like to look like Scarlett Johansson... but that's not happening any time soon. So we'll see.

Lots of stuff has been going on here in the Spaz household. I'm typing up this blog post in my newly reclaimed office, for one. You see, if you remember back to the time when The Teenager moved in with us, you'll remember that I gave up my office. And then when The Teenager moved out the room was given to Bug because he swore that the only reason he couldn't keep his room clean was because he had to share it with Goober and Goober was always messing it up.

A year and a half later, Bug still hadn't gotten a grip on that whole "keeping a room clean" thing so I decided he could go back to sharing one with Goober and I could get my office back.

And let me tell y'all... it's nice. It's clean and quiet and I have a door. A door that closes and shuts out the rest of the world. It's like heaven. I forgot how awesome it was to have an office. Now maybe I can get some work done.

This time of year is always a little strange for me. As we take that curve around Valentine's Day I'm always reminded that my birthday is approaching. When I was a kid, the mere mention of February caused me to light up. In South Florida, February is really our most beautiful month. The air is crisp and cool. In the mornings we drive to school with the heater on and in the afternoons we kick on the AC just to take the edge off. Our skies are brilliantly blue with puffy little clouds floating about and our trees are filled with birds of every color. It is a great month to have a birthday.

But I tend to find myself a little down every February. I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting older (34 this year - is that officially no spring chicken? Or do I have a couple more years?) and with age I see possibilities and opportunities falling by the wayside. Or maybe it's just because I've never been comfortable with a whole lot of focus being on me. It's true... when I was little I used to cry when people sang Happy Birthday to me. It's still not all that comfortable, honestly. Or maybe I'm just reminded with every birthday that I'm one year closer to the end. I don't know... I just know that February is an odd month for me. I smile less and I worry more and I find myself glad it's the shortest month of the year.

14 days till March 1. Start the clock.


0 comments: