Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Still not a morning person

A few people have asked me how I'm doing with the Organization Project - specifically the Becoming a Morning Person aspect of it.

And the truth is that I suck at it.

I go back and forth about whether it's even a good idea. But that's probably mostly just me trying to convince myself that it's no big deal that it seems natural to me that I stay up until three or four in the morning and sleep till noon. And maybe if I didn't have kids to take care of it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Honestly, it would be best if I could somehow stay up till three or four in the morning and still wake up by eight. I haven't figured out how to make that work yet, though.

The thing is that I'm most productive after ten at night.  The kids are in bed, the house gets quiet, and I really get my groove going. I get work done, I get things cleaned, I really get so much accomplished. So if I'm going to bed just when I start to feel most productive, I'm really not ever going to get anything done.

I did give it a good shot, and I haven't given up on it yet. But I've found that even when I force myself to get to sleep at a decent hour, where decent means before midnight, and I wake up at an early morning hour, where early means before eight, I can't seem to motivate myself to actually do anything productive the whole day.  And just when I start to feel motivated, it's time for bed again.

I have to assume that if I keep it up, eventually I'll become functional during the day. But in the meantime, I'm just walking through life in a hazy fog and getting nothing done.

So I haven't done well, because frankly I need to get things done. I'm hoping that there will be some sort of lull in my summer at some point where I can attempt to "reset" myself without worrying so much about whether I'm getting a lot done.  Sounds like a vacation might be in order. :)


0 comments: