Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Spaz mourns the loss of Chick Fil A's Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake laced with hate and homophobia

I think it was about a year ago that I learned that Chick Fil A donated a portion of its proceeds to organizations that support "the traditional view of marriage". I know it's been at least 8 months or so because I went through the entire holiday season without one of their incredible Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshakes that they make during the holidays because I refused to give the company a dime.


Even though those shakes are incredible.


Seriously - the chicken sandwich has nothing on that shake.


But I digress, y'all. Just because a company can make a fabulous milkshake, doesn't mean they're doing anything good for our society. Not to mention that the desire for a Chick Fil A chicken sandwich actually almost killed me and burned down our house once. 


So when Dan Cathy, president of Chick Fil A opened his mouth last week and told the Baptist Press that the company was "guilty as charged" for backing "the biblical definition of a family" and facebook went all wonky with people posting and sharing anti-Chick Fil A images and articles, I was sort of happy.


It's like when you know that your best friend's boyfriend is a jerk but she doesn't realize it... and then she finally does.  While you're sad that she's sad and you're sad that he's a jerk, you're just so darned relieved that she finally dumped his sorry ass.


That's right, Chick Fil A... you're like a jerky boyfriend. All pretty and alluring on the outside, but filled with nasty ugliness on the inside. 


Reading the arguments for "traditional family values" that have been sweeping the internet over the past week seriously make my stomach turn.  They're such bad arguments with no real basis on fact or research. 


Some quotes I've gathered from the Interwebz on the subject:

"I'm personally tired of intolerant leftist propaganda that hates, smear and mocks religious people mercilessly."  Right, because the Christian agenda that hates, smears, and mocks gay people mercilessly is so much more refreshing.

" it's just that fatherless and motherless homes produce criminals at a significantly higher rates. Fact, not opion. Look at prison stats." These kind of statistics make me insane. Where is the statistic that lesbian and gay couples produce criminals? This is the most basic example of comparing apples and oranges ever. What logic said "single parent households" = "households with parents of the same gender"?

"Can't a person or a company have a thought or opinion about something or somebody and people just say " Oh, that's how thay feel about that" and MOVE ON !!!" Absolutely, ignorant facebook poster! We can move on to the next establishment that doesn't support homophobia. Enjoy your hate sandwich!

"way to go chick its about time people start standing up for the way they feel and not all if us want gay anything shoved down our throats its a sin plain and simple and just the fact you recognize its not normal is wonderful Thank You Jesus and you too!!!!!!!!!"  This post would make Jesus cry. I am sure of it.

Oh... I could go on and on. But you can go look for yourself if you'd like. Chick Fil A's facebook page is just full of this garbage.

So what did I do about it?


Of course I did. 

And 15% of the purchase price of this shirt will go directly to whiteknot.org in support of the right for everyone to marry the person they love, whether they have girl parts or boy parts or no parts at all. 

I'm proud to stand up for what I believe in and I fully recognize that Dan Cathy has every right to stand up for what he believes in.

Even though what he believes in is bigoted, closed minded, and darn right sad. He has every right to believe in it and give his money to organizations that believe in it, too.

That's the beautiful thing about Free Speech. I can say what I want, you can say what you want, Dan Cather can openly be in support of the "biblical family" and we can all give our money to whatever organizations we believe in. 

Oh, and about that milkshake?  I found a recipe here that will probably do just as well and one here that even makes it almost vegan! Isn't the Internet just a wonderful place?



4 comments:

the_happy_hausfrau said...[Reply to comment]

Hear hear!!! We don't have these restaurants way up here in da northland, but if we did I would be boycotting right along with you.

And have I told you how proud I am of you with your tee biz?? As soon as I am back in a size I'm happy with I'm going to shop in your store.

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

Aww Shucks, Jenny. ;) Thanks.

The Virtuous Girl said...[Reply to comment]

I think that everyone has a right to their opinion and beliefs. I also believe that you have a right to boycott any organization that is counter to your ideals. Just as I am proud of you for standing up for what you believe in, I'm also impressed with Chick Fil A management for holding true to their beliefs (even in the face of jeopardizing their families' livelihoods).

We all need to be more open minded and accepting of everyone's right to their opinions and beliefs. Isn't that really what makes our country so awesome -- people from differing backgrounds, faiths and ethnicities living together with mutual respect, even when we disagree on some topics.

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

@The Virtuous Girl

I have no problem with Chick Fil A expressing their beliefs. None at all. In fact, I wholeheartedly support the right for Chick Fil A management to hold and express their beliefs.

What I have a problem with is the fact that if I (someone who believes that everyone should have a right to marry the person they love - regardless of gender or race) spend my very hard earned money at Chick Fil A, they are going to turn around and donate a percentage of that money to organizations that are working to make it a LAW that certain members of our society cannot marry the person they love because of their gender.

So, honestly, if you step back and think about it... who is being less open minded? This isn't about mutual respect.

I could happily sit down with Dan Cathy and debate and share a meal and respect his ideas and beliefs. However, I'm not going to give him a dollar to go donate it to an organization working hard to make laws that will exclude people I love and care for from having the same rights you and I have.