Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Everybody has those days. Mine was yesterday.

Yesterday was one of those days when nothing would go right. It was as if a general cloud of gray funk had settled over the Spaz household and it was stinking up the place. I won't go in to every little thing that went wonky yesterday, but suffice to say that by the end of the day I was drinking a mason jar full of cheap, boxed red wine and reading O Magazine in the bathtub... a sure sign of a rough day.


Days like that make me wonder where I went wrong. The Man and I are pretty honest. We don't cheat people, we don't lie, we don't steal. Aside from the occasional necessary mis-truth ("Of course that new haircut doesn't make your face look fat!"), we're pretty much on the straight and narrow. 

I don't know about you, but when I was growing up I was told constantly that if I worked hard and did the right thing that life would always work out for me. As I've become an adult, I've learned that sometimes that just isn't the case. There are times when I watch dishonest people continue to profit on their dishonesty, while people who stay true to themselves and work hard are run over by the crowd. 

Yesterday I reacted to all of this in a manner much like a 6 year old. "It's not fair!" I stomped and pouted and ate carbs. Lots of carbs. Covered in cheese. With my boxed wine. 

Don't judge. It stays fresh for six to eight weeks after opening and the packaging is environmentally conscious. That's right. 

Today I woke up way earlier than I should have, given the time I went to sleep, and decided that I needed to put on my big girl panties and just keep going. Life is hard, y'all. It's tempting to give up, hop in my trusty old minivan, point it north, and go cry on my mommy's shoulder until I feel better. 

But that's not going to get me anywhere in the long run. Eventually I'd still have to deal with all the problems I've left at home and one thing I've learned is that problems I ignore just turn into bigger problems that can't be ignored later. 

So here I am. Like Dory. "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming."


0 comments: