Thursday, November 6, 2008

That which doesn't kill us...

The past couple of days have been a mix of happiness and sadness and confusion and anger and elation. I'm thrilled that our new President Elect is Mr. Barack Obama. I'm deeply saddened that America was not quite so open-minded about Amendment 2 and Proposition 8. I'm confused that people I love so much and hold so close to my heart can shut their minds so firmly and I'm angry that some people who I have grown to care about will have rights taken from them due to this vote. I'm elated that our country, as flawed as it is, has made such a bold step in the right direction of equality.

Sometimes I think the universe, God, karma, whatever you'd like to call it has a way of laughing at us. We can feel so strongly about something and all of a sudden we're thrust into a position of having to deal with it. Every corner we turn around shows us that we can have no plan... there is no way to predict what will be thrown at us.

I seem to stand alone in the face of the people I love. I am different, I have always been different. How I emerged from their strong opinions and ideas to become the person I am today is mind-boggling to me. I never wanted to be the one to make waves. However, I can't help but know what I know and feel what I feel and believe what I believe. To deny all of those things would be lying to myself.

I am praying... yes, praying... to whom or what I don't even know... but I am praying for peace today. I am praying for love and acceptance, for openness and honesty, for all of us to put aside our differences and do what is right and good.