Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Made to be a Granddaddy


Today's Sincerely 'Fro Me To You picture is one that has been taken at least ten times before. My dad, standing at the edge of the Atlantic ocean with one of his grandchildren, just taking it in.

Goober and Dad

I'm fairly certain my sisters could pull out several shots just like this one with their own kids and every single one of them makes us all smile.

My dad lives for his grandchildren. I'm not sure there has ever been a man who is willing to do more for his grandchildren. He bought a condo on the beach so they would always have memories of the beach with their family. He bought a house in the mountains so they could remember family vacations in such a breath taking location. He takes us on amazing tropical vacations every year just so we can all be together and so his grandchildren have incredible childhood memories.

He would stop at nothing for them.

Goober's birthday is Friday and today I called my Dad to ask him if he had gotten a present for him yet. We'd gone to Toys R' Us today and after we had gotten some things for him from us, I noticed something else I thought Goober would like and wanted to give him an idea if he needed one.

But of course, Dad had already gone shopping. As I listened to my dad read off a list of at least four perfect for Goober things he had purchased (including the very LAST Wall-E remote control robot that I know he's just going to blow his little five year old lid off for), I couldn't help but smile at how much he loves to spoil these kids.

I sure hope they learn to appreciate him some day.

For more great Sincerely 'Fro Me To You posts, check out We are THAT Family!

PS - Whoa, I'm really getting sappy lately, aren't I? Hopefully the wit and sarcasm will return soon...


21 comments:

Muthering Heights said...[Reply to comment]

What a sweet post!

Suz Broughton said...[Reply to comment]

I love that picture. You will cherish it always. Beautiful post, your kids are so truly lucky.

j said...[Reply to comment]

Precious post! The photo is amazing!!!!!

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

The picture is great, but the post is better. I have a very similar dad. He, too, was born to be a grandpa. Thanks for the reminder :-)

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...[Reply to comment]

I love this post! You and your kids are so blessed.

Crayl said...[Reply to comment]

You are very blessed.

Jennifer said...[Reply to comment]

What a beautiful photo!

Sarah said...[Reply to comment]

How wonderful! These are the kind of grandparents both my parents and Nicks want to be. Nick's dad just put in a pool...and I honestlty think one of the mail reasons in that his parents had a pool for the grandkids growning up, and he wanted to be sure to have one too! Now we just need the baby to come along so they have someone to spoil!

Kristen said...[Reply to comment]

Oh, you are so blessed! I love this picture! This post made me tear up!

Make sure you link up next Thursday because I'm giving away a very cool prize from the 80's!

littletoesandcheerios said...[Reply to comment]

That's great to have such a good male roll model for him:)

Phone Photo Project by Kim said...[Reply to comment]

How awesome!!! My grandmother was like that...would do anything for her grandchildren. I appreciated her always and loved her more than anything!

D... said...[Reply to comment]

What a sweet picture! Your kids, well, all the grandchildren, are so lucky to have a granddad like your dad! What a blessing. :)

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

That picture is gorgeous; your son will really treasure it when he grows up. Blessings, Whitney

lucysd13 said...[Reply to comment]

thats really cute. i love that picture

a Tonggu Momma said...[Reply to comment]

You know... sappy isn't all bad. Tart is good most of the time, but a little sap helps us to remember how tart the tartness is.

(I can't believe I just wrote that.)

Regardless, your daddy seems like a great grandpa.

HDMac said...[Reply to comment]

precious pic - and even more precious post... granddaddies are special and to be cherished... we never know how long we have with them.

Groovewoman said...[Reply to comment]

Awww, that actually makes me misty-eyed thinking of my papa. He is gone now and I miss him something awful.

This is such an awesome picture and you son will TREASURE it one day! :D

Valarie Lea said...[Reply to comment]

Granddads are awesome :)

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

so cute!

The Source said...[Reply to comment]

You are so incredibly blessed to have a dad like that! I wish my kids were lucky enough to have those memories with their grandpa, but they do have a step-grandfather who loves them like his own. Cherish those photos and the moments behind them! Lovely post.

Ringleader said...[Reply to comment]

This made me cry. My in-laws (all three of them) are that kind of grandparent. When MIL had cancer 2 years ago, she was so worried about my kids getting upset over her hair loss, she had them all give her a hair cut before it started to fall out. That's right, they each took turns with the scissors and gave her a short (horrible) hair cut. They loved it. Then when it started coming out- she let them take turns shaving it all off. All this so THEY wouldn't be worried about what SHE had to have been scared to death about. She's fine now BTW-