Tuesday, November 11, 2008

No Heads In The Refrigerator

Today Bug had his second appointment with his therapist and she gave us a lot of tips on how to reign in some of the frustration Bug has with his siblings and life in general. She also gave me some information on how to handle children with ADD and ADHD, which I have not had a chance to look over just yet.

I don't really know what's going on with Bug exactly. Today he shut his sister's head in the refrigerator. Yep, you read that right. No need to go back.

He has no explanation for this. She wasn't even really irritating him at the time. He just wanted to shut her head in the fridge.

So off he went to time out while I got to listen to Munchkin cry about her head. Her head that has been hurting for a couple of days while she's been battling some virus and had a fever. Her head that finally stopped hurting for a little while today until her brother shut it in the refrigerator.

And as much as I know that Bug is a good-natured kid who typically doesn't want to do anyone any harm, I wanted to wring his little neck for hurting her when she's so vulnerable. It's interesting how protective and defensive I can feel for my child, even when it's my other child I have to defend her against.

Bug really enjoys going to see the therapist, I think. He thinks she's very nice and they played Uno together. She lent him her Uno game and told him she trusted him to take care of it. I think it's great for him to have a sense of responsibility to take care of someone else's thing. He talked in length with her today about Cryptids, of which he has an obsession with. It was great to see his eyes light up and for him to repeat definitions to her as if he was reading straight out of a dictionary... even though all that information is stored right there in his head.

He's turning into who he's going to be. I hope we're guiding him correctly.

Photobucket


4 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...[Reply to comment]

I think one of the hardest things mothers deal with is when one child is mean to the other. It is for me, anyway.
My stepson has ADHD also. If you get any great tips, could you pass them on? He's doing well but it's always a challenge.

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

Only having one child, and being an only child myself, I've never dealt with the craziness between siblings. I really don't think I'm missing out...

Charlie said...[Reply to comment]

If you can email a copy of that form I'd love it.

I have quite a few kids that could benefit from it.
Wv20@yahoo.com

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

i was going to say that it was the hernia in the belly button... but then realized that that wasn't bug that had it. it was goober.

hope munchkin's head is feeling better.