Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bacon is the suck - Piggy Free BLT WINS!

So I went through a vegetarian phase. I still try to lower my meat intake dramatically but I'm not a vegetarian anymore. However, there is one thing I took from my veggie days that I will not be giving up.

Smart Bacon

That's right... I'm kicking regular bacon to the curb. I hate making bacon. First of all it smells up my entire house no matter how high I put that darned stove vent thing on. Second of all it spits hot grease at me while I'm cooking it. And third of all I NEVER get it just right. It's always undercooked or burnt. I'm a bacon failure.

That's why I'm in love with Smart Bacon. It cooks on the stove in a pan in like one minute. Or less. It's crazy fast. And there is NO GREASE.

Smart Bacon in the Pan

In fact, when I take it out of the pan you'd be hard pressed to even realize the pan is dirty.

Yes, I wash the pan afterward, geesh.

Smart Bacon BLT

Even The Man, bacon connoisseur, agreed that my BLT tasted pretty good for "that hippie stuff"... that's quite an accomplishment. I haven't convinced him to make a complete switch, though. Maybe some day. Probably not, though.

You can even go crazy and use vegan mayonnaise (which is pretty tasty, if I do say so myself) and have yourself a completely vegan sandwich. It's superfantastic. :)

That's what works for me!

For more Works for me Wednesday posts, check out Rocks in my Dryer!

And don't forget to vote for October's Little Fish! :)


10 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...[Reply to comment]

Hmm, I may just try that!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...[Reply to comment]

Sounds good. I had a vegetarian phase too. I'd probably like this a lot.

Unknown said...[Reply to comment]

The only option we have here is turkey bacon and people still think of that as new fangled. I'll have to keep an eye out for it in the meat free section.

A bit like you though, not sure the husband will go for it, still what he doesn't know can't hurt him.

Michelle@Life with Three said...[Reply to comment]

I'm a bacon failure, too! I try and make it in the microwave, but I screw it up every time. This is probably worth a shot -- what's it made of? Soy?

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

I cook bacon in the oven. No grease splatter, and the bacon doesn't shrivel into oblivion like it does in a pan.

Hubby would never go for the fake stuff. I've tried to trick him with lots of stuff...he always catches on (eventually)!

Muthering Heights said...[Reply to comment]

I wish they sold that around where I live, I would be scarfing it down!

mah-meeee said...[Reply to comment]

ooo so it still tastes like bacon? i'd gotta give that a try.
i'm just like you, can't fry up a bacon right at all.

does it crunch like real bacon too?

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

the only thing that could make it better is avocado. I fell in love with BLATs in Portland.

Kate @ A Simple Walk said...[Reply to comment]

Oh man, I don't know if I could do this. I'm a bacon lover through-and-through. Turkey bacon is okay in a pinch, but I'm not sure I could do this. But, good for you!

And you're right, bacon does stink!

carrie said...[Reply to comment]

The first time I bought that stuff, I thought there was no way it would be good - surprise! surprise! Even though it looks super strange, it is delicious and if you're putting it in a salad or on a sandwich, it's perfect!