Monday, June 23, 2014

Rainbows and kittens and butterflies and flowers


When I was little I fell in love with Haley Mills. Well, not Haley Mills to be exact - but her character, Pollyanna.

My mom must have recorded it for me on VHS because I watched Pollyanna over and over again, memorizing the words and most of all - playing The Glad Game. 



The Glad Game may have irritated all members of Harrington in the Disney movie - but it spoke to me and I played it in my head all the time.

I'm not sure at what age I stopped playing The Glad Game, but it wasn't until I started The Happiness Project that in addition to writing down 3 positive things that happen to me every day, I was playing the game all over again.

Crappy things happen and I try to figure out what's good about them. And it certainly makes things easier to swallow.

I'm two weeks into The Happiness Project and I'm happy to say that it really has improved my state of mind. The first thing I noticed when writing 3 things down every night is that some days it is really difficult to narrow it down. So many great things happen to me every day that trying to pick 3 can be tough. And that's a problem to be glad about right there.

I'm still loving my art journal and have been creating in it most days. Not every day because life is pretty busy with 3 kids home over the summer - but most days I do find some time to put some color down in my journal. I took the time to set up a space for creating and I'm happy to say it's getting a lot of use.

I even picked up a smaller journal for Munchkin because she was having so much fun using the art table that she really needed a place to put her own ideas down to paper. The Man is having a hard time finding something good to say about all the glitter that we've been using and how it's slowly spreading throughout the house in tiny little specks of joy, but Munchkin and I are having a blast.

I highly recommend you putting together one of your own. No one would ever need therapy if everyone just started playing The Glad Game and painting in a book once in a while.


0 comments: